My spouse cheated on me so I shouldn't pay spousal support or maintenance, right?

Your spouse cheated on you. You feel angry and betrayed, and very few things irritate you more than the thought of paying spousal support! Surely, you won't have to pay spousal support or maintenance to that cheater, right? It depends. 

Kentucky law says the court may grant a maintenance order for either spouse only if it finds that the spouse seeking maintenance:

  1. Lacks sufficient property, including marital property apportioned to the spouse, to provide for the spouse's reasonable needs; and
    1. Is unable to support themselves through appropriate employment; or
    2. Is the custodian of a child whose condition or circumstances make it appropriate that the custodian not be required to seek employment outside the home.

As you see, the law makes no provision for the court to consider infidelity. 

Finding a Good Lawyer

One good way to find a lawyer is to check out their online recommendations, ask friends, acquaintances, or other lawyers and attorneys for referrals and then interview the candidates. You can call my office at 502-509-1490 to schedule a consultation to discuss your options or set an appointment here:

Let Our Experienced Team Help

If you’re facing divorce, custody, grandparent's rights, paternity, adoption, criminal charges, personal injury, or need deeds or wills prepared in or around Shepherdsville or Shelbyville or Taylorsville or Radcliff or Elizabethtown or Louisville, Kentucky, rely on our team at the Law Offices of John Schmidt & Associates. We will fight aggressively to help you protect your rights with the goal of obtaining the most favorable outcome. Schedule an appointment here:



Recent Posts