My Ex-Wife or Husband Plans on Moving Out of State with Our Children. Can I Take Legal Action?

In most states, your ex-spouse must follow a legal process and present you with a written Notice of Intent to move if she/he wants to legally move out of state with your children. The vast majority of state legislatures has passed laws directly addressing the relocation issue; however, Kentucky is among the minority of states with no specific statute. The issue of relocation remains one of the toughest issues Family Court / Circuit Court judges must address.

Generally, the issue of relocation arises after a custody determination has been made; therefore, relocation is a custody issue and is addressed by applying the general custodial modification statutes, KRS 403.340 and KRS 403.350. Together, these statutes present specific requirements that must be met to prevail. If you have been presented with a custody question or problem, please contact the Law Offices of John Schmidt & Associates for answers and guidance.

Finding a Good Lawyer

One good way to find a lawyer is to check out their online recommendations, ask friends, acquaintances, or other lawyers and attorneys for referrals and then interview the candidates. You can call my office at 502-509-1490 to schedule a consultation to discuss your options or set an appointment here:

Let Our Experienced Team Help

If you’re facing divorce, custody, grandparent's rights, paternity, adoption, criminal charges, personal injury, or need deeds or wills prepared in or around Shepherdsville or Shelbyville or Taylorsville or Radcliff or Elizabethtown or Louisville, Kentucky, rely on our team at the Law Offices of John Schmidt & Associates. We will fight aggressively to help you protect your rights with the goal of obtaining the most favorable outcome. Schedule an appointment here:



Posted in Attorney Law

Recent Posts