What do I do if I receive certified mail containing legal documents?

Call an attorney. If you receive the summons and a petition then it will contain instructions. Typically you’ll have 20 days to respond. It is important that you respond.

What happens if I don’t respond? You run the risk of the default judgment being entered against you.

What is a default judgement? Default judgment is the order giving the petitioner everything they ask for in the petition. It is a court order and enforceable by the law.

Finding a Good Lawyer

One good way to find a lawyer is to check out their online recommendations, ask friends, acquaintances, or other lawyers and attorneys for referrals and then interview the candidates. Of course, Law Offices of John Schmidt & Associates is available for legal advice on child support today. Call us now!

If you are in Kentucky, then I’d recommend that you call my office at 502-587-1950 or 502-509-1490 to schedule a consultation to discuss your options.

Please set an appointment at Appointment with John Schmidt

Recent Posts


You have the right to unbiased legal aid when charged with DUI. When you are charged with driving under the ...
Learn More