My spouse cheated on me so I shouldn't pay spousal support or maintenance, right?

Your spouse cheated on you. You feel angry and betrayed, and very few things irritate you more than the thought of paying spousal support! Surely, you won't have to pay spousal support or maintenance to that cheater, right? It depends. 

Kentucky law says the court may grant a maintenance order for either spouse only if it finds that the spouse seeking maintenance:

  1. Lacks sufficient property, including marital property apportioned to the spouse, to provide for the spouse's reasonable needs; and
    1. Is unable to support themselves through appropriate employment; or
    2. Is the custodian of a child whose condition or circumstances make it appropriate that the custodian not be required to seek employment outside the home.

As you see, the law makes no provision for the court to consider infidelity. 

Finding a Good Lawyer

One good way to find a lawyer is to check out their online recommendations, ask friends, acquaintances, or other lawyers and attorneys for referrals and then interview the candidates. Of course, Law Offices of John Schmidt & Associates is available for legal advice on child support today. Call us now!

If you are in Kentucky, then I’d recommend that you call my office at 502-587-1950 or 502-509-1490 to schedule a consultation to discuss your options.

Please set an appointment at Appointment with John Schmidt

Recent Posts