My child’s other parent uses alcohol to excess and I’m worried about my child’s safety. Can I file for sole custody?

The short answer is yes, but each option requires certain provable facts to be present. You may be able to make allegations and get the desired result in the short terms, but – in the end – you must be able to prove the allegations and meet the requirements.

Excessive alcohol use is hard to prove and the use of alcohol is not illegal unless consumed past legal limits while the person does certain things like care for dependents, spends time in public, operates motorized vehicle, etc.

You should contact an attorney to discuss your options. If you have reason to believe a child is a victim of abuse or neglect, immediately call the Kentucky Child Abuse Reporting Hotline at 1-800-752-6200. The number is answered 24-hours a day, seven days a week. If you cannot get through to this number for any reason, call your county’s Child Protective Services Office (in the Office for Health and Family Services), the local police, or the County or Commonwealth Attorneys’ Office.

Finding a Good Lawyer

One good way to find a lawyer is to check out their online recommendations, ask friends, acquaintances, or other lawyers and attorneys for referrals and then interview the candidates. Of course, Law Offices of John Schmidt & Associates is available for legal advice on child support today. Call us now!

If you are in Kentucky, then I’d recommend that you call my office at 502-587-1950 or 502-509-1490 to schedule a consultation to discuss your options.

Please set an appointment at Appointment with John Schmidt

Posted in Abuse

Recent Posts