Military Divorce When You Have Not Resided In The State

I’m a service member in the United States military and my home of record is Kentucky but neither I nor my spouse have resided in or been stationed in Kentucky for the last 6 months. I pay taxes in Kentucky. Can I file divorce in Kentucky?

Home of Record

Home of record is useful for several things including state income taxes. Each state differs on whether the state courts have the power to issue a divorce decree.

Kentucky Jurisdiction

In Kentucky, one of the spouses needs to reside or be stationed in Kentucky for the 180 immediately preceding the petition. Home of record does not play a role in determining jurisdiction. Kentucky law makes no allowance for the Court to issue a decree if neither spouse has resided in or been stationed in Kentucky for the 6 months immediately before the filing of the petition.

Finding a Good Lawyer

One good way to find a lawyer is to check out their online recommendations, ask friends, acquaintances, or other lawyers and attorneys for referrals and then interview the candidates. Of course, Law Offices of John Schmidt & Associates is available for legal advice on child support today. Call us now!

If you are in Kentucky, then I’d recommend that you call my office at 502-587-1950 or 502-509-1490 to schedule a consultation to discuss your options.

Please set an appointment at Appointment with John Schmidt

Recent Posts