Can my property settlement agreement be reopened if my spouse made misrepresentations?

As with most situations in the law, the answer depends upon the facts. Misrepresentations made during the course of a divorce or legal separation may constitute fraud upon the court or fraud upon the other party.

Was your spouse’s fraudulent conduct outside of the trial or upon the defeated party in such a manner that the defeated party is prevented from appearing or presenting fully and fairly their side of the case? If so, then the fraud is not subject to a one-year limitation.

Was the fraud the presentation of perjury or falsified evidence, clearly a fraud upon the court? If so, then the fraud perpetrated in the courtroom or through testimony under oath is subject to a one-year limitation.

For a more complete description, see Terwilliger v. Terwilliger, 64. S.W.3d 816 (Ky. 2002)

Finding a Good Lawyer

One good way to find a lawyer is to check out their online recommendations, ask friends, acquaintances, or other lawyers and attorneys for referrals and then interview the candidates. Of course, Law Offices of John Schmidt & Associates is available for legal advice on child support today. Call us now!

If you are in Kentucky, then I’d recommend that you call my office at 502-587-1950 or 502-509-1490 to schedule a consultation to discuss your options.

Please set an appointment at Appointment with John Schmidt

Recent Posts